With your Codet Satchel in hand you are a walking awareness campaign and advocate for our girls in Haiti!
Remember to carry your satchel today and engage with those around you about the cause you are carrying.
- La Croix (our partner community) is located about 3 hours southwest of Port-au-Prince. It is home to roughly 5,500 people.
- Restavek, a form of domestic servitude) is a form of modern-day slavery that persists in Haiti, affecting one in every 15 children. Children are often trafficked to nearby countries to serve as restaveks.
- Slavery has been illegal in Haiti longer than anywhere else, but an estimated 300,000 children are living in slavery in Haiti today.
- The International Labour Organization estimates there are more girls under 16 years old in domestic service than any other type of work.
- Domestic work is regarded as a 'safe,' but conceals a the reality of abuse and exploitation, including physical, psychological and sexual violence. (Plan International)
Whitby Handbags is a socially conscious luxury accessories line devoted to the abolishment of modern-day slavery and human trafficking through the funding of girls and boys educations around the world. Founded by Britt Adams in August 2014, Whitby launched their first collection in August 2015 with the Codet Satchel. Whitby is committed to donating 30% of their profits to nonprofit partners in Haiti, Iraq, Thailand, and Peru. The new collection will be available for purchase online and at select retailers Spring 2017.